Argos was Recognized by the Dow Jones Global Index for the Ninth Consecutive Year
Argos was recognized, for the ninth consecutive year, as a global benchmark in sustainability in the construction materials sector, according to the Dow Jones Global Index (DJSI). The cement company and its holding Grupo Argos were positioned as leaders among 38 companies in the industry. Argos was also highlighted in the Latin American Integrated Market (MILA) - Pacific Alliance.
Due to its environmental, economic, and social practices, the company obtained the highest rating in the following categories: Materiality, Risk Management, Institutional Relations, Environmental Reporting, Water Risk Management, Climate Change Strategy, Social Reporting, Labor Practices, and Human Rights.
Some of the actions that led Cementos Argos to be recognized:
- The company shared its commitment to climate change mitigation through two challenging goals: to reduce, by 2030, CO2 emissions by 29% in its cement operations and, by 2050, to offer carbon-neutral concrete, aligned with the Global Cement and Concrete Association's (GCCA) Net Zero ambition.
- Argos has three credits linked to ESG performance indicators.
- Implements different sustainable transportation alternatives such as train, hybrid mixer trucks, gas-powered tractor-trailers, and electric trucks.
- Green Bags Program, which consists, through reverse logistics, of collecting the bags used by its customers and then delivering them to companies that will make use of them.
- Use of calcined clays and other supplementary cementitious materials for the production of low-carbon cements.
- Purchase of electricity from renewable sources, such as the solar farm in Honduras and the purchase of electricity in Colombia with 100% renewable energy certification.
For more than 20 years the Dow Jones Sustainability Index has evaluated companies in 58 economic sectors and 27 countries based on sustainability criteria. This year the standards of around 3,500 of the world’s largest companies by market capitalization were studied.
For more information, visit https://argos.co/argos-has-been-recognized-by-the-dow-jones-global-index-as-a-world-leader-in-sustainability/.