On Wednesday morning, March 27th, 2019 the SCA will host an educational session on slag cement in durable and high performance concrete. Following the educational portion will be the 2018 Slag Cement Project of the Year Awards Ceremony, highlighting 9 projects for their outstanding use of slag cement in concrete. The session agenda and more event details are below:
Creating Durable Concrete with Slag Cement
Wednesday, 3.27.2019 8:30AM - 10:30AM
- High Percentage Replacement Rates in London Tunnel System
- St. Croix Crossing, Slag Cement in Mass Concrete Bridge Construction, Lars Anderson, Cemstone
- Avoiding Scaling in Concrete with Slag Cement, Henry Prenger, Lafarge Holcim
- Scaling is largely an aesthetic problem, but it costs our industry and owners millions of dollars each year to remove and replace scaled concrete. A joint initiative by the FHWA, Delaware DOT, and the NRMCA led to the creation of a certification program for finishers and inspectors specifically addressing the issue of scaling and the role of finishing practices, concrete materials, and de-icing salts on the durability of concrete surfaces. The presenter will provide an overview of the course and give insight into some of the major causes of concrete scaling.
- Slag Cement Project of the Year Awards Ceremony
- The Slag Cement Project of the Year Awards presentation will highlight 9 projects from across the United States for their outstanding use of slag cement in concrete. The session will overview the award winners from the categories of architectural design, durability, green design, high performance, innovative applications, sustainability, and research. Case study overviews of each project will be presented to illustrate the beneficial use of slag cement in various applications.
Thank you to the ACI Convention for allowing the SCA to continue hosting its project of the year awards ceremony.